Wednesday, December 02, 2009

What's the Buzz?

I may never know, as it turns out.

Famous retired U.S. Air Force pilot, astronaut, second-man-on-the-moon, and occasional assaulter of moon landing naysayers, Buzz Aldrin, was supposed to show up this afternoon for a meet 'n greet session in the lobby of the MaRS Discovery District, which happens to be the building complex where I work. He was in town, apparently, to speak at a conference on the "Business of Ageing", which, not surprisingly, was also going on at MaRS.

He didn't show up.

Well, actually, I have no idea if he showed up for his talk or not, since I wasn't registered for the conference and wasn't really interested in attending. But, after all the hoopla and publicity laid on, even to the point of the provision of free Tim Horton's coffee (!) for the assembled multitude, it was a wee bit disappointing that he didn't appear.

I'm glad, in retrospect, that I forgot to haul the Sony Monster with me for the photo-op, and that I just passed by the lobby on my way back from having some more RAM stuffed into my (quite topically) ageing laptop. But just think of the opportunity for a photo caption missed:

Buzz Aldrin on MaRS!

Highly clever, me.

6 comments:

#Debi said...

Maybe, since it was a conference on aging, he got a bit confused and went to the other Mars...

TRT said...

A MaRS a day helps you work, rest and play.

Aled Hughes said...

A Timmy always gives me a Buzz....

WrathofDawn said...

wv - croinge

What you do when you're expecting a World Famous Astronaut and he doesn't show.

kdoyle said...

I'm sure a few minutes of Photoshoppery will give you your photo-op!

Richard Wintle said...

w00t! Thanks, Cath. I've been, voted, and come back here already. :)