Monday, February 19, 2007

Playing footy in Cali, allegedly

Getting back to some recent news that made a minor splash for a day or two, Soccer television a while ago was nattering on about David Beckham going to the Los Angeles Galaxy. Does anybody care? Not me. They could sign Beckham, Pele, a young Beckenbauer, the entire 1982 Italian national team, a squadron of trained elephants and a disgruntled octopus fully decked out in Nike gear and Gola boots, and I still wouldn't watch U.S. Soccer. But I'm a curmudgeon.

And, of course, I clearly have no clue what I'm talking about, since I prefer to follow the fortunes of the somewhat-less-than-mighty Torquay United. Last time I bothered to look, which was admittedly several weeks ago, they were winless in 17 straight league matches. And scraping the bottom of Coca-Cola League Two or whatever it's called this week, staring down the barrel of the relegation cannon.

So take whatever I say about Beckham playing in L.A. with a grain of salt. I could be wrong. Maybe it'll all be a monstrous success. But I doubt it.

--

In other news, I just got Shanghaid into volunteered for going to The Nation's Capital™ next Monday for a one-day symposium on bioethics. Interesting topic. But seriously now... Ottawa in February? Brrrrr.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Torquay united eh? I thought I had problems... I'm a Spurs fan (Tottenham Hotspurs)and no, I don't know anything about footie either!

WrathofDawn said...

Ottawa in February?

BBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Been there, done that.

Take your longjohns!

And have a beaver tail for me! Yum!

Richard Wintle said...

I'm planning on staying inside the hotel the entire time...

"kgueak" - the noise Ricardipus makes when it's 20 below outside.

WrathofDawn said...

But then you can't have the enjoyment of eating a beaver tail that starts to freeze before you can finish it.

Anonymous said...

I suffer with temps in the 20's as well ... +26C :)

"ggqsvvi" sound a Ricardipus makes when his tongue is stuck on a frozen beaver tail,