Saturday, January 15, 2011

And so, into 2011.

Not much to report, really... after a grueling couple of months writing grants (oh, and I think the Christmas holidays were in there too), I'm back to having a bit more spare time. Time, among other things, to dig through some old shots from last July's Honda Indy Toronto race weekend, and edit a few of them.

DSC01914 - Will Power, pit lane, Toronto 2010
High-contrast, black and white treatment. Why not?

I've written a couple of guest posts over at the Occam's Typewriter Irregulars blog. I'll be concentrating on science-y things there, since OT was founded, and is largely populated by, scientists (although the writing is fairly diverse). Good writers there - well worth a visit.

My other blogging gig, over at Life Science Tools of the Trade, should pick up a bit this year - I've committed to at least one post per month, which doesn't seem like much, but believe me, would be a big increase over my past efforts. That will be all science - techy stuff, as compared with the OT Irregulars, where I'll be largely posting things for a lay audience. I'll probably keep cross-posting those ones from here.

Otherwise, I think this place will stay much as it has been, which means, of course, more about cameras and cars, mainly. On that front, a few months ago I finally bought a DSLR: a Nikon D5000, kitted out with a couple of lenses including a 55-300 mm zoom, which should be fun for my motorsports pursuits. That means that I can stop borrowing Mrs. Ricardipus's lovely Sony DSC-R1, although it will still get used for various things (like that photo of the Christmas tree from a few posts ago, for example). It also means that the old film SLR is now long gone.

The old camera.
The dear, departed Pentax MZ-50 and 100-300 mm lens - now traded in.

So far, the D5000 has been fabulous, although I'm still learning it - both where all the controls are, and how it responds to different lighting conditions. But I'm very happy with it, and it's proven adept at a variety of things, from close-ups of expensive cars under dodgy lighting, to long-range snaps of zoo animals,

Arctic Wolf, howling

a bit of landscape shooting,

Barn, Maple Road, Ontario

and even, with a rented lens suitable for low light, some concert photography.

Solo

So - among more important things, 2011 should bring, in no particular order, a lot more writing about science and other things, and many more photographs, at least some of which will be of things with wheels. Good times, I trust.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good stuff, R,Puss!!

Richard Wintle said...

Thank you sir. Hope the new pub is treating you well. :)

WrathofDawn said...

Race cars and cameras and grants, oh my!

Richard Wintle said...

Yes indeed. Nothing ever changes around here, does it?

Screen Doors Clarksville said...

This was great to reead