Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Seven Things

I've been tagged by Debi, who wants me to write Seven Random Things About Ricardipus. So here you are:

1. I am currently suffering from a case of Paronychia on my right index finger. Go and look it up, it's not as bad as it sounds.

2. Last year, I co-authored a thirty page report on new genomics technologies, for Health Canada (the federal government health ministry). I've never met anyone who's read it - at least nobody that I didn't give it to myself.

3. Despite all my waffling on about racing and sportscars and so forth, the first car race I've ever been to was this year, in August. You can read about it in this ridiculous post.

4. Speaking of cars, I got my first speeding ticket ever this year, at the age of 40. I'm not sure if that's pathetic, admirable, or just random chance.

5. I confess to being tremendously lazy when it comes to learning about politics, politicians and policies - federal, provincial, municipal. It's only one of the things I could confess to being tremendously lazy about.

6. I work in a building complex called MaRS. Isn't that exciting?

7. I'm going to Montreal next week, a city I've very rarely visited.


There you go. In the spirit of this, I tag Wyldwoods and new Ricardiblog reader Pinklea, although it occurs to me that since Dawn has tagged the entire internet, I didn't really need to.

12 comments:

Joy said...

I've gotten so many speeding tickets in my life! The last time I was stopped (within the last year) was by a former student I caught cheating in my 11th grade English class. I made a deal with him, a sort of plea bargain, if the others turned themselves in who stole a copy the final exam, I'd give them all F's instead of zeroes, which is the usual consequence. I didn't want them to get by with it when he wasn't alone in the cheating felony.

Now he's a policeman. He actually thanked me for that experience and let me go with a warning after our conversation. I've been trying harder to drive within the speed limit again since then.

I'm sure there's a point to this story, but I didn't reach one.

WrathofDawn said...

LOLZ @ Joy's story!

A whitlow. Ah yes. Ouch.

I have never gotten a speeding ticket. Not that I don't speed, I've just never been caught. In fact, I have only gotten one moving violation ticket in my life and it was for running a red light. In my defence, the light turned red as I passed under it. Had I tried to stop, I would have ended up in the middle of the intersection, but whatEVER, Mr. Policeman.

NO ONE reads Health Canada reports. They just travel on HC's nickel to "discuss" them.

MaRS sounds very exciting indeed!

You don't have to thank me for tagging the entire internet. Efficiency is my middle name.

cramitue - what one does before a final exam.

Anonymous said...

Would it be polite to say thank you for the tag, Ricardipus, or am I supposed to run away? Not sure of the correct protocol, but I will post my Seven Random Things soon-ish.

Richard Wintle said...

Joy - stories don't need to have a point. This blog is a living example of that philosophy.

Dawn - yes, ouch indeed. And I suspected as much about Health Canada reports.

pinklea - I think either approach (thanks or running away) is acceptable...

#Debi said...

At the link for "Paronychia", one of the Synonyms and Related Keywords is "felon". Where have your fingers been, young man?!

So, how is life on MaRS?

Rik said...

Eugh @ fingernail gamminess...

I have been done for speeding 4 times. I have been convicted twice. What with that, and driving without insurance, my licence needs a second page for endorsements!

Mr Farty said...

Damn, Debi got my life on Mars comment!

Have fun in Montreal, eh?

Richard Wintle said...

Mr. farty - don't worry, Debi isn't the first person to make that joke. Just imagine.

Thanks - Montreal should be fun, I know a few people there and am long overdue to visit.

#Debi said...

I was in Montreal once, when I was 6, for Expo '67...


Yes, I am old.

Anonymous said...

MaRS was a great place when I met you. Much better than Montreal. A place where they don't speak English, or even French. I'm I unpleasant to these people? They certainly were to me when I was there.

Richard Wintle said...

Aled - strangely enough, I had the same experience in Paris, although they *do* speak French there, allegedly.

For your next visit to Montreal, you need some preparation. Repeat after me:

BON!!!! JOOOR!!!!

DO! YOU! SPEAK! ENGLISH!!!?

Louder works better, obviously.

WyldWoods (WW.N) said...

MaRS? I keep hearing NASA talk about their plans to put a man on Mars. Are you planning a welcome party for when they finally get there?

And as I said in my latest post, I recognize that I was tagged and will post mine within the week.